What does it mean when a spine surgery has computer-assisted navigation?

Dr. Don Y. Park, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

Computer-assisted navigation in spine surgery is where surgeons obtain images using an O-arm or Arrow Machine in the operating room and obtain computed tomography (CT) type images, and import them into the computer. Once the images are in the computer, surgeons are able to get three-dimensional images that can be used during spine surgery to place screws and implants accurately. This has been shown to have high accuracy, with 96 to 99 percent accuracy of placement of screws. So, this is very useful for difficult, altered or atypical anatomy, especially in places that can't be seen very well with conventional techniques such as x-ray or fluoroscopy in the operating room.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

Water Aerobics for Better Knee Cartilage
Film- and swim-star Ester Williams earned three national championships by age 16 in the breaststroke and freestyle, just before World War II began. Th...
How does my body keep me upright?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
In order to stay upright, your body is sensing the direction of the sway and activating the muscles ...
8 Easy Exercises for Achy Joints
8 Easy Exercises for Achy Joints8 Easy Exercises for Achy Joints8 Easy Exercises for Achy Joints8 Easy Exercises for Achy Joints
Do achy joints inhibit your exercise goals? Here are 8 easy exercises to help you stay fit and fight joint pain.
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?