What is a herniated cervical disc?

A cervical herniated disc is when an intervertebral disc suffers a tear in its covering and the inner gelatinous core of the disc is expelled into the spinal canal. It can present in several different ways. Typically, patients can complain of neck pain, along with a pain that radiates from the neck down along the arm, along with weakness or numbness in the arm. In some cases, the herniation can be significant enough to cause compression of the spinal cord. This results in weakness of the arms, legs, balance difficulty and manual dexterity loss.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

Tell Me Why My Joints Pop
Tell Me Why My Joints Pop
Joints—you forget you have them until you bend your knees and sound like a bowl of Rice Krispies –-snap, crackle and pop! So why do joints pop? The an...
What is degenerative disc disease (DDD)?
Degenerative disk disease refers to a process of weakening and breakdown of the intervertebral disks...
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
Improve your range of motion and ease aches with these hand exercises.
Manage Ankle Pain
Manage Ankle Pain