What is flexibility?

Flexibility is the ability of a joint to maneuver through a range of motion. Everyone has different levels of flexibility. Factors that may limit flexibility include:
  • Gender
  • Age
  • Fitness level
  • Body type
  • Muscle elasticity
  • Previous injury
  • Strength of opposing muscle
  • Joint structure
(This answer provided for NATA by the Gustavus Adolphus College Athletic Training Education Program.)
Flexibility is the ability to move, bend and stretch in a full range of motion. Flexibility increases athletic performance and reduces the risk of muscular strain and injury. Stretching is an example of flexibility exercise.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

Is This Common Knee Surgery Effective?
Is This Common Knee Surgery Effective?
For people with knee pain, going under the knife is an all-too-common occurrence. More than 700,000 Americans have arthroscopic surgery each year to t...
What can I do to decrease the amount that my feet turn out?
This is most likely caused by tight calf muscles and weak inner thighs. Start by performing a fe...
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
Improve your range of motion and ease aches with these hand exercises.
Can a Low-Calorie Diet Help Ease Psoriatic Arthritis Symptoms?