What is ankylosing spondylitis?

Ankylosing spondylitis is a disease in which the immune system attacks joints and ligaments. Normally, the immune system army attacks germs, but in ankylosing spondylitis, the army gets confused and attacks joints and ligaments mainly in the lower spine and sacroiliac joints. Ankylosing spondylitis can also affect other joints and the eyes too. The main problems are pain and stiffness in the lower back and buttocks, which is worse in the mornings and improves with exercise. X-rays and MRI scans can show what’s happening inside the joints and bones. The best treatments are exercise along with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to help pain and joint movement. In severe ankylosing spondylitis, stronger medicine like biologics might be needed.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

What You Need to Know About Bone Density Testing
Every year an estimated 2 million people break a bone due to osteoporosis. In fact, roughly 50 percent of women over the age of 50 will likely fractur...
What should I do if I experience foot pain after wearing high heels?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
If you experience foot pain after wearing high heels and the pain does not subside after a few days,...
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
Improve your range of motion and ease aches with these hand exercises.
How Can I Relieve Chronic Pain from Conditions Like Fibromyalgia?