What should I do if my shoes hurt my feet?

Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
If you have foot discomfort in a particular pair of shoes, your first step should be to invest in better shoes. Properly fitted, well-cushioned shoes may provide you with the support you need. And since custom orthoses can vary widely in cost (ranging from $150 to $400), better-fitting shoes may be considerably less expensive. If the problem is minor and you just need a little more cushioning, try an over-the-counter insert.

If the problem persists or if you find that you suffer discomfort in all of your shoes, talk to a foot care specialist. You may benefit from custom orthoses. Orthoses frequently succeed in treating such disorders as flat feet, problems of the metatarsals, neuromas, and heel pain. In general, there are three main kinds of custom orthoses: soft, rigid, and semi-rigid.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

The 5 Best Ways to Get Help for Dupuytren’s Contracture
If you’re living with Dupuytren’s contracture, a condition that causes the formation of tight, lumpy nodules in the hands, you know completing everyda...
What does an orthopedist treat?
Los Robles Hospital & Medical CenterLos Robles Hospital & Medical Center
Orthopedists can help treat any injuries to your bones or muscles. Watch Carrie Stafstrom, director ...
10 Foods Your Joints Love
10 Foods Your Joints Love10 Foods Your Joints Love10 Foods Your Joints Love10 Foods Your Joints Love
Add these to a healthy diet to help prevent and soothe joint pain.
Can A Gluten-Free Diet Help Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms?