What should I do if my shoes hurt my feet?

Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
If you have foot discomfort in a particular pair of shoes, your first step should be to invest in better shoes. Properly fitted, well-cushioned shoes may provide you with the support you need. And since custom orthoses can vary widely in cost (ranging from $150 to $400), better-fitting shoes may be considerably less expensive. If the problem is minor and you just need a little more cushioning, try an over-the-counter insert.

If the problem persists or if you find that you suffer discomfort in all of your shoes, talk to a foot care specialist. You may benefit from custom orthoses. Orthoses frequently succeed in treating such disorders as flat feet, problems of the metatarsals, neuromas, and heel pain. In general, there are three main kinds of custom orthoses: soft, rigid, and semi-rigid.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

4 Great Foods for Healthier Bones
4 Great Foods for Healthier Bones
Your body needs the right nutrients in the right amounts to maintain bone mass. You already know about calcium and vitamin D. But do you know about ot...
What is ankylosing spondylitis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Ankylosing spondylitis is a disease in which the immune system attacks joints and ligaments. Normall...
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
Improve your range of motion and ease aches with these hand exercises.
Can Certain Foods Ease Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms?