How can eating salad help keep my joints healthy?

To keep your knees and hands free of arthritis, here's what you should have before each meal: a small salad. Why? Because the vitamin K in leafy greens -- think cabbage, spinach, and Swiss chard, for starters -- could help reduce your risk of joint damage.

In a study of older adults, those with higher blood levels of vitamin K were significantly less likely to develop the bone spurs and cartilage damage that are common in painful osteoarthritis. Hands seemed to benefit most, but people's knees got some protection, too. Just one word of caution: If you're on blood thinners, check with your doctor about appropriate K intake.

You shouldn't need a vitamin K supplement if you eat your greens -- especially dark ones. (Whew. One less supplement to take.) Greens just not your thing? No problem. Broccoli and asparagus make tasty alternatives.

Take the RealAge Test!

Continue Learning about Joint Health

CDC Says 10 Percent of Adults Limited by Arthritis
The number of Americans with arthritis has jumped (again), and experts say our lifestyles—too much weight, too little activity—have a lot to do with i...
Which parts of the leg can be lengthened?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Generally the femur is the part of the leg chosen to be lengthened. This bone is generally lengthene...
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
Improve your range of motion and ease aches with these hand exercises.
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?