Does Achilles tendonitis affect children?

Achilles tendonitis is rarely seen in children or teenagers. Often times kids (usually ages 9-13) develop heel pain that may be misdiagnosed as Achilles tendonitis or plantar fasciitis. Their pain is usually coming from the growth plate because of overuse, growth spurts and inflammation. This is called Severs disease (similar to Osgood-Schlatters seen in the knee) and is usually easily treated by a sports medicine specialist. 

Continue Learning about Joint Health

Water Aerobics for Better Knee Cartilage
Film- and swim-star Ester Williams earned three national championships by age 16 in the breaststroke and freestyle, just before World War II began. Th...
Which parts of the leg can be lengthened?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Generally the femur is the part of the leg chosen to be lengthened. This bone is generally lengthene...
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
Improve your range of motion and ease aches with these hand exercises.
What Are My Options for Fibromyalgia Treatment?