Do I need surgery for a slipped disc?

If you have a slipped disc and those gel-filled pads between your vertebrae become badly damaged and you have back pain symptoms, such as tingling, pain or numbness in your legs, surgery may be recommended. That's the case for about 10 percent of people who have a slipped disc, but I can tell you that a study from the Spine Outcomes Research Trial shows that for many people with a slipped or herniated disc, surgery has the best outcome.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

What You Need to Know About Bone Density Testing
Every year an estimated 2 million people break a bone due to osteoporosis. In fact, roughly 50 percent of women over the age of 50 will likely fractur...
Can pointy shoes hurt my feet?
Fashionable shoes can squeeze your toe so hard you get permanent foot pain. Learn how to prevent...
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
Improve your range of motion and ease aches with these hand exercises.
Can Certain Foods Make Psoriatic Arthritis Symptoms Worse?