Can a herniated disc improve without treatment?

The majority of patients can improve herniated discs through medications and/or therapy. A surgical intervention may be necessary.

Dr. Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine Specialist

Two well-known but rarely discussed attributes of herniated discs are their transient nature and your body's ability to remedy them. It is entirely possible that a herniation of the nucleus pulposus (HNP) will appear one day and months later a follow-up magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) will show no evidence it ever existed. A study of 48 confirmed herniated discs found on follow-up that 9 decreased in size by 25 percent, 8 decreased in size by 50 percent, and—here is the most astounding figure—31 decreased in size by 75 to 100 percent, and the largest herniations decreased the most. Because follow-up MRIs are seldom done in private practice, doctors usually don't get to see such dramatic results.

Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

The symptoms of a herniated disc may improve without treatment even if the disc herniation does not decrease in size. Sometimes, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) will document that a disc resorbs or gets smaller. However, this is not very common.

Continue Learning about Joint Health

Easier Recovery From Knee Replacement Possible
When anchorman Brian Williams had knee replacement surgery in 2013, he blogged about the recovery, comparing it to his first knee surgery in 1977: “Wh...
What are the symptoms of a herniated disc?
Medical Center of TrinityMedical Center of Trinity
Localized pain in the lower back, radiating pain and numbness are all symptoms associated with a her...
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong5 Easy Exercises That Keep Hands Young and Strong
Improve your range of motion and ease aches with these hand exercises.
What Does My Family Need to Know About My Fibromyalgia Treatment?