Can functional problems lead to physical changes in the body?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Functional problems are those in which muscles or joints do not move optimally, creating stress to the tissues. In my opinion, functional problems lead to structural diagnoses (diagnoses describing physical changes in the body such as a bulging disks or arthritis) and pain. This may occur due to faulty movement patterns, weakness, limited range of motion, old injuries, or all of these factors. I believe the repeated stress from functional problems leads to physical changes in the body such as herniated or bulging disks and facet -- in other words, structural diagnoses.
Fixing You: Back Pain: Self-Treatment for Sciatica, Bulging and Herniated Disks, Stenosis, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

Back pain is often due to larger problems, such as poor walking habits or pelvic muscle tightness , that create vulnerabilities in the spine. This is why most people have trouble fixing their...

Continue Learning about Joint Health

Can Your Joints Really Predict the Weather?
Maybe you’re known as the family weatherperson because your stiff, achy joints tell you when a snowstorm will be blowing in. But if you think you can ...
What should I do if my shoes hurt my feet?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
If you have foot discomfort in a particular pair of shoes, your first step should be to invest i...
8 Easy Exercises for Achy Joints
8 Easy Exercises for Achy Joints8 Easy Exercises for Achy Joints8 Easy Exercises for Achy Joints8 Easy Exercises for Achy Joints
Do achy joints inhibit your exercise goals? Here are 8 easy exercises to help you stay fit and fight joint pain.
Can Certain Foods Help Relieve Psoriatic Arthritis Symptoms?