Will I need narcotics for joint replacement surgery?

You may need narcotics for joint replacement surgery. Doctors want to give you some pain relief, but they want to minimize the use of narcotics during and after joint replacement surgery. Narcotics have a lot of untoward side effects. They cause nausea, vomiting and a change in mental status.

Unfortunately, there is not a complete substitute for them yet. To minimize their use, doctors do things like local anesthesia around your knee, spinals with just a touch of morphine in your back and with other medications -- not narcotic medications but anti-inflammatory medications and things like that to minimize the need for narcotics. The more doctors can minimize the need for narcotics, the less chance you have those bad side effects, so it's kind of a balancing act.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

Treatment Options for Dupuytren's Contracture
Dupuytren’s contracture, or Dupuytren’s disease, is a systemic disorder that results in the deformity of one or both hands. It typically affects men, ...
What should I do about an injury to the tip of my elbow?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Immediately after a direct blow to the tip of your elbow, you should apply a cold compress for a...
How are stable hip fractures treated?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
A stable hip fracture, where the fracture has not moved or impacted itself, and the bone has not bec...
3 Steps to Prevent Knee Pain When You Run