Why do I need a coach after joint surgery?

It's recommended that your spouse or a family member is assigned the role of a coach if you will be having joint surgery. The coach's role will be to provide motivation and encouragement, prepare the home for a safe return, to listen to and understand all discharge instructions and to be knowledgeable of a home exercise program and any precautions that go along with your specific surgery.

The coach will also be responsible for reviewing medications, being able to drive you home from the hospital, encourage attendance at follow-up doctor and therapy appointments, recognize the signs or symptoms of any postoperative complications and be available to help you at home for a few days.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

4 Proven Ways to Control Pain After Surgery
More than one million Americans undergo a total hip or total knee replacement each year.  Because both surgical procedures typically involve weeks of ...
What kinds of sports or exercise can I do after joint replacement surgery?
Riverside Community HospitalRiverside Community Hospital
After joint replacement surgery, stick to low-impact sports and exercise activities, avoiding high-i...
How can I prevent my knee from dislocating?
Menorah Medical CenterMenorah Medical Center
The best way to prevent knee dislocation is to maintain a healthy lifestyle and get the proper amoun...
How Can Hip Injuries Be Prevented?
How Can Hip Injuries Be Prevented?