What is recovery like after ankle surgery?

Dr. Joan R. Williams, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

Recovery after ankle surgery depends completely on what type of surgery is done. Depending on if there are any bones cut, fractures put back together or ligaments repaired, the person will be in a splint or cast and be required to keep weight off of the foot for anywhere from six to eight weeks. This means crutches, a walker or other assistive device will be needed for a time period. Physical therapy is often started about six weeks after surgery if needed.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

Treatment Options for Dupuytren's Contracture
Dupuytren’s contracture, or Dupuytren’s disease, is a systemic disorder that results in the deformity of one or both hands. It typically affects men, ...
How can I strengthen a dislocated kneecap?
North Suburban Medical CenterNorth Suburban Medical Center
There are four muscles in a group that connect to the kneecap. It is difficult to isolate one of tho...
How can I prevent my knee from dislocating?
Need stability is as much, if not more, balance then it is pure muscle strength. A term we call prop...
How Should I Use Ice and Heat to Treat Pain?