What is a partial hip replacement?

Partial means only one side of the hip is fixed. A partial hip replacement is generally performed on patients who have a hip fracture. When the head or neck of the thigh bone (femur) is broken, it needs to be replaced with the stem that has a ball on it. In such patients, the cup, or acetabular, side of the hip is healthy and may not require resurfacing.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

Treatment Options for Dupuytren's Contracture
Dupuytren’s contracture, or Dupuytren’s disease, is a systemic disorder that results in the deformity of one or both hands. It typically affects men, ...
What can speed up my recovery after joint replacement surgery?
Dr. William A. Leone, MDDr. William A. Leone, MD
Early mobilization after joint replacement surgery helps to prevent many potential complications and...
When does physical therapy start after joint replacement surgery?
Capital Regional Medical CenterCapital Regional Medical Center
If a person has joint replacement surgery in the morning, the goal is to start physical therapy that...
How Should I Use Ice and Heat to Treat Pain?