What is direct anterior muscle-sparing total hip replacement?

Direct anterior muscle-sparing total hip replacement allows the surgeon to reach the hip joint from the front of the hip as opposed to the lateral (side) or the posterior (back). This way, the hip can be replaced without detaching the muscle from the pelvis or femur during surgery. The most important muscles for hip function, the gluteal muscles that attach to the pelvis and femur, are left undisturbed and therefore do not require a healing process. Direct anterior muscle-sparing total hip replacement offers a more beneficial alternative to traditional hip replacement surgery.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

Treatment Options for Dupuytren's Contracture
Dupuytren’s contracture, or Dupuytren’s disease, is a systemic disorder that results in the deformity of one or both hands. It typically affects men, ...
What is a slipped capital femoral epiphysis?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Slipped capital femoral epiphysis is a slippage of the epiphyseal (growth) plate of the head of ...
How long will my shoulder replacement last?
Metropolitan Methodist HospitalMetropolitan Methodist Hospital
Due to the glenoid, a cavity in the shoulder, in traditional shoulder replacement, it could loosen i...
How Should I Use Ice and Heat to Treat Pain?