What is direct anterior muscle-sparing total hip replacement?

Direct anterior muscle-sparing total hip replacement allows the surgeon to reach the hip joint from the front of the hip as opposed to the lateral (side) or the posterior (back). This way, the hip can be replaced without detaching the muscle from the pelvis or femur during surgery. The most important muscles for hip function, the gluteal muscles that attach to the pelvis and femur, are left undisturbed and therefore do not require a healing process. Direct anterior muscle-sparing total hip replacement offers a more beneficial alternative to traditional hip replacement surgery.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

4 Proven Ways to Control Pain After Surgery
More than one million Americans undergo a total hip or total knee replacement each year.  Because both surgical procedures typically involve weeks of ...
Why is it important to have a hip fracture treated as quickly as possible?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
A hip fracture is a serious injury that can be life threatening, particularly for an older person. I...
How long does it take to recover from joint replacement surgery?
Capital Regional Medical CenterCapital Regional Medical Center
Once people leave the hospital after joint replacement surgery, most will return to see their surgeo...
How Should I Use Ice and Heat to Treat Pain?