What happens after a hip replacement?

After a hip replacement, people spend one to three days in the hospital. Once pain is controlled with oral medications and they can walk with assistance they will be released. At home after a hip replacement people begin outpatient rehab to strengthen the muscles around the hip and stretch them for flexibility. In the long term,  people will be able to perform activities of daily living and play sports that are low-impact and non-contact, such as doubles tennis, golf, swimming, hiking, cross-country skiing and cycling.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

4 Proven Ways to Control Pain After Surgery
More than one million Americans undergo a total hip or total knee replacement each year.  Because both surgical procedures typically involve weeks of ...
How can I prevent traumatic orthopedic injuries?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
The best prevention for those traumatic orthopedic injuries that can be prevented is knowing your pe...
How can I strengthen a dislocated kneecap?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
When someone dislocates their patella (kneecap), it is usually displaced laterally (to the outside)....
How Should I Use Ice and Heat to Treat Pain?