Is there a greater chance of dislocation after hip replacement surgery?

The chance of dislocation after hip replacement surgery is different for everyone. Most long-term studies show a 0.5 to 20 percent rate of dislocation after total hip replacement surgery.

Dr. Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon
In the weeks after a hip replacement, you'll need to take great care to keep from dislocating the implant before the surrounding tissues have healed enough to hold it in place. Even afterward, there is a chance of a painful dislocation—five out of every 100 implants dislocate after total hip replacement surgery. If your hip dislocates, your doctor gives you a sedative while he or she manipulates the implant ball back into the socket. A hip that dislocates more than once usually requires surgery to make the joint more stable.

After primary hip replacement surgery, the risk of dislocation has been calculated to be between 2 percent and 4 percent. Some surgeons have lower dislocation rates, so it may be useful to do some research or to ask the surgeon directly.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

Treatment Options for Dupuytren's Contracture
Dupuytren’s contracture, or Dupuytren’s disease, is a systemic disorder that results in the deformity of one or both hands. It typically affects men, ...
What precautions should I take after a posterior hip replacement?
Swedish Medical CenterSwedish Medical Center
The traditional posterior hip replacement is a well-known approach that has a good track record. The...
What should I do if I can't use my hand after an elbow injury?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If you injure your elbow and are unable to use your hand, you may have injured your brachial art...
3 Steps to Prevent Knee Pain When You Run