What should I do if I have cartilage or ligament damage to my knee?

Any soft tissue damage in the knee such as cartilage or ligaments can cause pain and decreased function. There are many different treatment options depending on the area of the damage and type of damage. If one suspects that they have a soft tissue injury or long-term damage to the knee, they should be evaluated by their orthopedic surgeon for treatment recommendations.

Traumatic injury to the knee, such as ligament or cartilage damage, often causes sudden, sharp pain and instability of the joint. These injuries should be evaluated by a doctor immediately; surgery may not be needed, but the doctor can recommend steps to take right away to limit the damage and help the joint recover. If symptoms continue after four to six weeks, reconstructive surgery may be needed.

Cartilage and ligament damage to the knee can be caused by many different acute and chronic conditions. It is best to have an experienced knee specialist check your injured knee.

Any damage to the knee should be brought to the attention of your doctor. It's important to refrain from self-treating.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

4 Proven Ways to Control Pain After Surgery
4 Proven Ways to Control Pain After Surgery
More than one million Americans undergo a total hip or total knee replacement each year.  Because both surgical procedures typically involve weeks of ...
Read More
What is nursemaid elbow?
Southern Hills HospitalSouthern Hills Hospital
Nursemaid elbow is a partial dislocation in young children.
More Answers
Is there a greater chance of dislocation after hip replacement surgery?
Menorah Medical CenterMenorah Medical Center
The chance of dislocation after hip replacement surgery is different for everyone. Most long-term st...
More Answers
3 Steps to Prevent Knee Pain When You Run
3 Steps to Prevent Knee Pain When You Run

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.