What are dislocations?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Dislocations occur when one or more of the bones meeting at a joint move from their normal location. Dislocations can occur in the hip, elbow, shoulder, knee, jaw, and wrist. However, the shoulder is the joint that experiences more dislocations than any other.

A dislocation is the movement of a bone at a joint away from its normal position.

This movement usually is caused by a violent force tearing the ligaments that hold the bones in place. When a bone is moved out of place, the joint no longer functions. The displaced end of the bone often forms a bump, a ridge, or a hollow that does not normally exist.

Dislocations are typically caused by traumatic injuries and can happen in the shoulder, hip, knee or ankle joints.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

Treatment Options for Dupuytren's Contracture
Dupuytren’s contracture, or Dupuytren’s disease, is a systemic disorder that results in the deformity of one or both hands. It typically affects men, ...
What activities can I do after hip replacement surgery?
Doctors Hospital of SarasotaDoctors Hospital of Sarasota
Daily activity after knee replacement surgery is virtually unlimited.
What orthopedic injuries can I treat at home?
LewisGale Medical CenterLewisGale Medical Center
If you’ve experienced an orthopedic injury and there’s not a lot of deformity—if there’s a little sw...
What Is a Shin Splint?
What Is a Shin Splint?