How can I prevent joint replacement surgery?

If you have an arthritic knee, you should modify your activities accordingly by avoiding high-impact exercise and training. It is really important to exercise on a regular basis, provided that it's not too painful. In general this will help the arthritic joint to feel and function better and to last longer.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

4 Proven Ways to Control Pain After Surgery
More than one million Americans undergo a total hip or total knee replacement each year.  Because both surgical procedures typically involve weeks of ...
What exercises will help my wrist heal after being in a cast?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Being in a cast for any length of time will cause muscles to atrophy, or shrink and weaken. Once...
What happens during ankle replacement surgery?
TriStar Hendersonville Medical CenterTriStar Hendersonville Medical Center
Ankle replacement surgery relieves the pain caused by severe arthritis. Doctors cut away the painful...
3 Steps to Prevent Knee Pain When You Run