How can I avoid dislocating my shoulder?

You can avoid dislocating your shoulder by strengthening the muscles and other soft tissues of your shoulder (such as with physical therapy).  You can also avoid activites that put your shoulder in a position that is at risk for dislocation (such as the position baseball pitchers are in when they are reaching above and behind their head). Also for certain shoulder conditions orthopedic surgery can be an option.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

Treatment Options for Dupuytren's Contracture
Dupuytren’s contracture, or Dupuytren’s disease, is a systemic disorder that results in the deformity of one or both hands. It typically affects men, ...
What are the risks with having multiple joints replaced at the same time?
JFK Medical Center - HCA East FloridaJFK Medical Center - HCA East Florida
More than one joint replacement during surgery is possible, but if someone has comorbidities, they m...
What is the unhappy, or O’Donoghue, triad?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The unhappy triad/O’Donoghue triad is an injury to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), medial ...
What Is a Shin Splint?
What Is a Shin Splint?