What is the difference between a separated and dislocated shoulder?

A separated shoulder and a dislocated shoulder involve two separate joints in the shoulder. The humerus (upper arm) attaches to the glenoid (the socket). A shoulder dislocation occurs when the humerus separates from the glenoid. The clavicle meets the acromion, a bony projection of the shoulder blade, at the acromioclavicular joint. A shoulder separation is when there is disruption of the acromioclavicular joint. 

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Injuries

4 Proven Ways to Control Pain After Surgery
More than one million Americans undergo a total hip or total knee replacement each year.  Because both surgical procedures typically involve weeks of ...
How can I strengthen my muscles after hip replacement surgery?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
After hip replacement surgery, you can strengthen your muscles by moving and walking around.
What is a total hip replacement?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
A total hip replacement or artificial hip is when the existing ball of the hip is replaced with a ce...
What Is a Shin Splint?
What Is a Shin Splint?