What happens when the scapula does not elevate properly?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
The upper, outer edge of the scapula (shoulder blade) needs to elevate approximately to the seventh cervical vertebra. Especially when the scapula is depressed to begin with, the chances of reaching the seventh cervical vertebra are much reduced. When the scapula does not elevate properly, increased stress is placed on the shoulder muscles, which leads to impingement or tears. This is often at the root of shoulder and elbow pain.
Fixing You: Shoulder & Elbow Pain: Self-treatment for rotator cuff strain, shoulder impingement, tennis elbow, golfer's elbow, and other diagnoses.

The shoulders are a floating system on the trunk, held in place and moved by muscular control. The foundation of shoulder movement is the shoulder blade which has precise resting and moving...

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

Questions When Considering Medication for TGCTs
Tenosynovial giant cell tumors (TGCTs) are a rare type of benign tumor that grow in the synovium bursae, tendon sheath, and other tissues that make up...
What is the neck's range of motion?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The neck moves in all three planes of motion. Flexion and extension happen in the frontal plane....
Is popping my knuckles bad for me?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
According to Anatomy and Physiology Instructors' Cooperative, there has only been one in-depth study...
Why Does My Knee Hurt When I Climb Stairs?