What can cause my elbow to be numb when I wake up?

If you wake up and your arm from about the elbow to your fingers is numb, it means that you have slept in such a way that you have pinched an artery as well as a nerve. If you relax, get moving, and start trying to use your fingers and hand to help reestablish sensation and blood flow, the numbness should go away. If after about an hour of moving it around, your hand and arm below the elbow are equally numb and there is still no sensation or movement, you should seek medical attention at your earliest convenience.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Southern Utah University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

How can I tell if I have problems with my pelvis?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
To test for pelvic problems, do the following: 1. Standing on a level surface, have a friend or p...
How can I tell if I have a hip problem?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The symptoms of a forward-gliding femur can be felt in the front, back, and side of the hip. In the ...
Why Does My Knee Hurt When I Climb Stairs?
How Does Aging Affect My Joints?
How Does Aging Affect My Joints?