What can cause hip problems?

Dr. Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

Despite its large size, the hip joint is susceptible to sudden injury from a blow or a fall, as well as from normal wear and tear. In younger people, it is often a sudden injury or collision that causes hip injury, although anatomical abnormalities and athletics can also play a role. As people age, the gradual erosion of the cartilage that coats and protects the joint can cause pain and immobility. In addition, the bone-thinning disease osteoporosis can also take a gradual toll, until a fall fractures the hip. About 76 percent of these fractures occur in women. For many hip problems, total hip replacement will be needed to bring pain relief and new mobility. But treatment depends on the cause of the problem, the person's age and other individual factors.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

What is hip retroversion?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Hip retroversion occurs when the head and neck of the femur sit further backward than the lower ...
How is shoulder blade function assessed?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
If the shoulder blade (scapula) isn't sitting properly on the trunk at rest, it probably isn't w...
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Is Your Back Pain Osteoarthritis?
Why Does My Knee Hurt When I Climb Stairs?