What can cause hip problems?

Dr. Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

Despite its large size, the hip joint is susceptible to sudden injury from a blow or a fall, as well as from normal wear and tear. In younger people, it is often a sudden injury or collision that causes hip injury, although anatomical abnormalities and athletics can also play a role. As people age, the gradual erosion of the cartilage that coats and protects the joint can cause pain and immobility. In addition, the bone-thinning disease osteoporosis can also take a gradual toll, until a fall fractures the hip. About 76 percent of these fractures occur in women. For many hip problems, total hip replacement will be needed to bring pain relief and new mobility. But treatment depends on the cause of the problem, the person's age and other individual factors.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

What is hip retroversion?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Hip retroversion occurs when the head and neck of the femur sit further backward than the lower ...
Why does my hip feel tight and pop, especially when I walk after sitting?
Hugh S. West Jr., MDHugh S. West Jr., MD
Femoral Acetabular Impingement (FAI) is a condition where the ‘ball’ and ‘socket’ of the hip are mis...
How Does Aging Affect My Joints?
How Does Aging Affect My Joints?
Signs of Osteoarthritis: Stiffness, Pain, Swelling in Joints