What are coxa valga and coxa vara?

Coxa valga and coxa vara are deformities of the hip. These deformities occur when the angle formed by the head of the femur and the shaft of the femur is abnormal.

If the angle is less than 125 degrees, this is considered to be coxa vara. If the angle is greater than 125, this is referred to as coxa valga. Coxa valga is more common in women.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Tampa Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

What makes a synovial joint move smoothly?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
There are three things that make a synovial joint move smoothly: the capsule, the synovial membrane ...
How can I tell if I have a hip problem?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The symptoms of a forward-gliding femur can be felt in the front, back, and side of the hip. In the ...
What Is Tendonitis?
What Is Tendonitis?
Do X-Rays Show Wearing Down of Cartilage Due to Arthritis?