What are coxa valga and coxa vara?

Coxa valga and coxa vara are deformities of the hip. These deformities occur when the angle formed by the head of the femur and the shaft of the femur is abnormal.

If the angle is less than 125 degrees, this is considered to be coxa vara. If the angle is greater than 125, this is referred to as coxa valga. Coxa valga is more common in women.

(This answer provided for NATA by the University of Tampa Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

What causes numbness from my shoulder to my fingertips?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Numbness in the shoulder to the fingertips is usually represents a nerve irritation or a pinched ner...
How can I tell if I have abducted or adducted shoulder blades (scapula)?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
Monitor your shoulders during the day, and learn to detect when they are becoming too rounded or...
How Does Aging Affect My Joints?
How Does Aging Affect My Joints?
What Is Tendonitis?
What Is Tendonitis?