What is hyper-extension of the knee?

All of our joints have a certain amount of motion that is considered to be within normal limits.  Sometimes, however, our joints have more or less than what is considered to be normal.  Hyper-extension of the knee means that the knee has more motion than normal when straightening out (in some cases, making it look like the knee is begining to bend the wrong way).  Too much motion over time can cause knee pain.  This will be seen especially in those that run, jump and kick with hyper-extension.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

What Healthcare Providers Treat TGCTs?
What Healthcare Providers Treat TGCTs?
Tenosynovial giant cell tumors (TGCTs) are a rare type of benign tumor that can affect a variety of different joints throughout the body. Like other t...
How do tight or stiff muscles affect my joints?
Sunrise Hospital & Medical CenterSunrise Hospital & Medical Center
Tight, stiff muscles can affect bone health by limiting your joints from a full range of motion.
What can cause my elbow to be numb when I wake up?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If you wake up and your arm from about the elbow to your fingers is numb, it means that you have...
What Causes My Joints to Pop?
What Causes My Joints to Pop?