How do tight or stiff muscles affect my joints?

Tight, stiff muscles can affect bone health by limiting your joints from a full range of motion.

Tight or stiff muscles will affect the range of motion of your spine and joints and will often affect weight distribution and stress loading on various areas of the skeleton. Therefore, stretching, strengthening and posture will play an important role throughout your life.

Dr. Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Specialist

A tight or contracted muscle cannot adequately protect the joint from the stresses of daily life, and it can also cause damage by exerting a constant force on the joint, pulling it out of alignment and forcing parts of the joint to bear weight it wasn't meant to take. The tight muscle also changes your body posture, placing increasing loads on multiple joints. For example, if your hip flexors are tight (which is very common) your pelvis and spine are constantly being pulled forward, increasing stress. When the pelvis and spine are pulled forward, the muscles attaching to the back of them (particularly the lower back muscles) are stretched and forced to work much harder to pull the spine back into alignment. Because the hip flexors are the strongest muscles in the body, the lower back muscles eventually fatigue, stretch and may become inflamed. While this tug of war is going on between your muscles, tendons and ligaments, the joints of your pelvis and spine are out of proper position. Their individual components, which include the sacroiliac joint, discs of the spine and small posterior facet joints of the spine, also are pulled out of position and forced to redistribute the load of the body weight in a suboptimal manner.

The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Tight muscles can place a constant force on a joint, potentially pulling it out of alignment and putting more stress on areas that are not meant to bear that stress. This can lead to increased joint damage.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

Questions When Considering Medication for TGCTs
Tenosynovial giant cell tumors (TGCTs) are a rare type of benign tumor that grow in the synovium bursae, tendon sheath, and other tissues that make up...
What causes my legs and feet to swell?
If you've suddenly found yourself shopping for wider or larger shoes, you may want to take a bet...
How can tight muscles in the pelvis lead to hip and knee problems?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
There are three key muscles in the front of the pelvis that can wreak havoc on hip and knee joint fu...
What Causes My Joints to Pop?
What Causes My Joints to Pop?