How can I tell if I have abducted or adducted shoulder blades (scapula)?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy
Monitor your shoulders during the day, and learn to detect when they are becoming too rounded or too close together. Because it can be difficult to get a sense of where your shoulder blades are in relation to your spine, have a friend check you periodically to see if you are on target.

If your shoulders are too far from your spine (abducted), initially you will feel that you must work hard to squeeze them in. If they are too close to your spine (adducted), at first you will feel that you are slouching when you correct them. Again, have a friend check to make sure you've got it right. Be sure your head does not move forward while you are adjusting! It will take just a little time to learn how to find the ideal three-inch position, but you will master it quickly.
Fixing You: Neck Pain & Headaches: Self-Treatment for healing Neck pain and headaches due to Bulging Disks, Degenerative Disks, and other diagnoses.

There are two major muscles connecting the shoulder blade to the head and neck. Because the shoulder system isn't working well, continual stress is placed on the head and neck creating...

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

What can cause joint popping?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
It is usually caused by a dislocation of the disc that sits between the lower part of the jaw called...
Is it normal to crack my neck?
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about the neck.
Does Osteoarthritis Occur Automatically as We Age?
What Is Tendonitis?
What Is Tendonitis?