What causes numbness from my shoulder to my fingertips?

Numbness in the shoulder to the fingertips is usually represents a nerve irritation or a pinched nerve. This can be from a disc herniation or a bone spur that is pinching the disc.

By far the most common cause for this clinical scenario is a pinched nerve in the neck called cervical radiculopathy. This is most often due to degenerative disc disease also called cervical spondylosis. Other causes of numbness from the shoulder down to the fingertips can include damage in the brachial plexus although this would typically be accompanied by weakness in the arm or hand as well.

Numbness and pain radiating in the arms could be due to a condition called cervical radiculopathy, also known as a pinched nerve.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

What happens when the scapula does not elevate properly?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The upper, outer edge of the scapula (shoulder blade) needs to elevate approximately to the seventh ...
What causes my legs and feet to swell?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
I assume that both your feet are swollen. This is important to note because new swelling in just one...
What Is Tendonitis?
What Is Tendonitis?
Signs of Osteoarthritis: Stiffness, Pain, Swelling in Joints