Is knee replacement the only option if I have bone on bone in my knee?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine

No, a knee replacement is not the only option for bone on bone in your knee.  The other option is a knee fusion which fuses the tibia to the femur.  Since this procedure will eliminate the knee joint and cause a total loss of joint motion, the procedure is rarely done except in cases of infection, trauma or when a  total knee is not indicated.

If the bone on bone is limited to one area of the knee, a partial knee replacement can be done. A viscosupplementation is also an option from a non-surgical standpoint, with an improvement seen in about 50% of patients.

Continue Learning about Bone & Joint Conditions

Bone & Joint Conditions

Bone & Joint Conditions

Your bones are your body's framework. It's assembled with bones that are constantly rebuilding and joints that allow you to move. It's an intricate system affected by your metabolism, nutrition, medications, wear-and-tear and medi...

cal problems like diabetes and high blood pressure. Among bone and joint problems are osteoporosis (brittle bones), osteoarthritis (degenerative arthritis) and gout. Prevention is always optimal, but when problems occur, treatment might involve weight-bearing exercise, dietary changes, exercise, medical treatments and possibly surgery.