Question

Bone & Joint Conditions

Is knee replacement the only option if I have bone on bone in my knee?

• A Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD, Family Medicine, answered

No, a knee replacement is not the only option for bone on bone in your knee.  The other option is a knee fusion which fuses the tibia to the femur.  Since this procedure will eliminate the knee joint and cause a total loss of joint motion, the procedure is rarely done except in cases of infection, trauma or when a  total knee is not indicated.

If the bone on bone is limited to one area of the knee, a partial knee replacement can be done. A viscosupplementation is also an option from a non-surgical standpoint, with an improvement seen in about 50% of patients.

Helpful? 1 person found this helpful.
Is knee replacement required if someone has stress fractures?