What is the myth of thinness?

Laura Katleman-Prue
The myth of thinness is: If we achieve the body of our dreams, we'll live happily ever after. After all, models and movie stars seem to lead charmed lives. So it's natural to assume that if our bodies looked like theirs, our lives would be great, too.

The rub is that media images of hyperthin female bodies create an impossible standard for most women to attain. For diet programs, gyms, and spas, this myth means money in the till.
It keeps us striving, and if we're striving, we're also buying.
Skinny Thinking: Five Revolutionary Steps to Permanently Heal Your Relationship With Food, Weight, and Your Body

READY TO END YOUR FOOD and WEIGHT WORRIES? If so, Skinny Thinking is for you. The only way to create a healthy relationship with food and stop battling with your weight is to change the way you think...

Continue Learning about Body Image

Building a Better Body Image
Building a Better Body Image
Healthy bodies come in all shapes and sizes, but that doesn’t stop many of us from having a negative body image. According to Andrea Pennington, MD, a...
Is my body image positive or negative?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
Women in the U.S. are under pressure to measure up to a certain social and cultural ideal of beauty,...
How can dancing improve my body image?
Joel Harper - Elite TrainerJoel Harper - Elite Trainer
I love dancing. I admit that I am not very good at it, but that is OK and I love it. I love DANCING ...
As A Parent, How Can My Attitude Affect My Child's Body Image?