How can the media affect my body image?

Rose Reisman
We're an intelligent and well-informed nation, but when it comes to our weight and body image we're a society addicted to the newest food crazes, diets, and exercise trends. We seem to lack rational thought or balance when it comes to our appearance. Television, movies, and magazines portray successful people as beautiful people. Think about how often you like to look at yourself nude in the mirror. (Did that send a chill up your spine?) You don't, because of the "flaws" you see. When was the last time you looked at yourself and admired what you saw? It seems that the more we scrutinize our bodies, the unhappier we become. Our self-esteem suffers because we fail to reach unattainable standards of beauty. Take a look at fashion magazine covers. Models have become thinner over the past 40 years. A size eight for women was once considered perfect. These days anything over a size four is viewed as overweight. Marilyn Monroe wouldn't get a callback if she auditioned today. The entertainment industry has set artificial standards for beauty, and consumers are buying right in.
Rose Reisman's Secrets for Permanent Weight Loss: With 150 Delicious and Healthy Recipes for Success

For the journey toward healthier living. Losing weight can be a constant and frustrating struggle. Rose Reisman's Permanent Weight Loss Solutions creates a blueprint for lifelong weight control that...
The media impacts body image in that people compare themselves to unrealistic images out there, and then punish themselves for coming up short. Watch clinical psychologist Ramani Durvasula, PhD, explain how the media negatively impacts body image.

Continue Learning about Body Image

Building a Better Body Image
Building a Better Body Image
Healthy bodies come in all shapes and sizes, but that doesn’t stop many of us from having a negative body image. According to Andrea Pennington, MD, a...
How can a negative body image hamper exercise?
Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
Sometimes a negative body image has a huge impact on exercise.  Some people think that they are so f...
How does my body image affect me?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
With a positive or healthy body image, a woman has a real perception of her size and shape. She also...
How Do I Help My Child with Her Body Image?