How can I look better in a swimsuit?

To look better in your swimsuit, all you need is a beach towel, about five minutes, and a commitment to starting every morning with these two moves.

First, to target your thighs and glutes, do lunges along the length of your beach towel: three forward and three back on each leg. To begin, stand with your feet shoulder-width apart with your hands on your hips. Take a long step forward with your right foot to the edge of the towel, bending your right knee so that your thigh is parallel to the floor (making sure that your knee does not extend further than your foot when you're lunging). Pause, then step back into the standing position. Repeat by stepping forward with your left foot. Then do the same but in the reverse direction. As you get stronger, try holding weights in each hand to increase the burn.

Next, it’s time to tighten your belly by getting into a plank position on your beach towel. To do so, lie flat on your stomach and brace your core muscles. Then lift your body up onto your toes and elbows, being sure to lower your buttocks down until they are level with your shoulders. The most important thing is to squeeze your navel toward your spine to really work your core. Hold for 30 seconds if you can, working your way up to a minute. You can start on your knees as you’re developing your core strength.

Continue Learning about Body Image

Building a Better Body Image
Building a Better Body Image
Healthy bodies come in all shapes and sizes, but that doesn’t stop many of us from having a negative body image. According to Andrea Pennington, MD, a...
Why do many women believe that they must be thin in order to be beautiful?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
Listening to the voices of the Dreamer (part of the self that offer salvation) and the Critic (j...
How is strength training related to enhanced body image?
Heidi Skolnik, MSHeidi Skolnik, MS
To begin with, accomplishing any new goal enhances our sense of self-worth and mastery and that, in ...
How Can the Media Affect My Body Image?
How Can the Media Affect My Body Image?