How can I feel good about my body as a mom?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Obsessively thinking about weight seems to be par for the course these days among women. It's just too easy to slip into negative thoughts even when we know deep down that they are not good for us, nor helpful. Every time the "I feel fat" statement zips through your brain, think of your beautiful children and learn to accept the body that has resulted. Granted, this doesn't imply that you cannot change your body and work toward having the body of your dreams. But don't let low-hanging comments like "I'm fat" derail your good intentions and psyche.

You have to look at the big picture -- through your children's eyes or through your own ability -- and rise above the lameness of statements like that. Instead, move in a direction of "I'm just going to do the best I can and be honest with what 'the best I can' means for me." How much will you let your muffin top really bother you? If you feel fabulous but cannot fit into a size 2 jeans, isn't that okay? Having a skinny body isn't the goal -- having a fully-functioning, vibrant body is.

Don't lose sight of your physical body. When you do there's a big disconnect from your neck down, and the types of problems that begin to present themselves at a very accelerated pace could be is anything from knee problems to back problems to sleep issues, anxiety, overeating, boredom, and mood fluctuations. It's an overused analogy, but looking at the body as a vehicle helps you to see why TLC is important. If you rely on your car to get you places, you are going to pay attention to its service. Similarly, the body is very resilient but there's only so much it can withstand without proper maintenance. And as you age, it will inevitably start to fall apart quicker.
Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

From celebrated dietitian Ashley Koff and fitness trainer to the stars Kathy Kaehler comes Mom Energy, an exciting new way for moms to tap into their own natural and renewable sources of...

Continue Learning about Body Image

Building a Better Body Image
Building a Better Body Image
Healthy bodies come in all shapes and sizes, but that doesn’t stop many of us from having a negative body image. According to Andrea Pennington, MD, a...
How can I feel more attractive?
YouBeautyYouBeauty
Rather than resolving to “fix” yourself externally, try making a more practical and important resolu...
How can I stop believing that being thin will make me happy?
Laura Katleman-PrueLaura Katleman-Prue
The idea that a perfect body will make you happy is just a thought, a belief. If you've reached ...
Beth Oliver & Darren Treasure: Making Friends with your Body