How common are body image issues in children?

Erik Fisher
About 42% of first, second, and third grade girls want to be thinner, 81% of ten year olds are afraid of becoming fat, and 51% of nine and ten year-old girls feel "better" if they are on a diet, than if they are not. Keep in mind that these are children we are talking about. Realize that the body image issues that our children are developing, likely begin by first grade.

Continue Learning about Body Image

Building a Better Body Image
Building a Better Body Image
Healthy bodies come in all shapes and sizes, but that doesn’t stop many of us from having a negative body image. According to Andrea Pennington, MD, a...
How does my body image affect me?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
With a positive or healthy body image, a woman has a real perception of her size and shape. She also...
How can I improve my body image?
Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhDDr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
The best way to improve your body image is to take care of and celebrate the body you have, and fill...
How Can I Improve My Body Image?
How Can I Improve My Body Image?