How should I take care of my mouth piercing?

If you have a mouth or oral piercing:
  • Contact your dentist or physician immediately for any signs of infection -- such as swelling, pain, fever, chills, shaking or a red-streaked appearance around the site of the piercing.
  • Keep the site clean and free of any matter that may collect on the jewelry by using a mouth rinse after every meal. Look for products that display the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance.
  • Minimize "clicking" the jewelry against teeth and avoid undue stress on the piercing. Be gentle. Be conscious of the movement of your jewelry when talking and chewing.
  • Check the tightness of your jewelry periodically -- with clean hands -- because beads can loosen on their threads. Checking can prevent you from choking on or swallowing your jewelry.
  • When taking part in sports, remove the jewelry and protect your mouth by using a mouthguard.
  • See your dentist regularly, and remember to brush twice a day and floss daily.
  • Most important, consider removing mouth jewelry before it causes a problem.

Continue Learning about Body Piercing

Can body piercings affect skin allergies?
Some people may have an allergic reaction to the nickel used in some jewelry. If jewelry that contai...
Will my skin heal after I remove a piercing?
Some piercings will heal after they are removed, but others may not. If a piece of body jewelry is a...
What are the dangers of mouth piercings?
Todd A. Welch, DMDTodd A. Welch, DMD
When it comes to getting the tongue pierced, there are many risks and adverse effects involved. Fir...
Can earrings hurt pierced ears?
Ear piercings can become bigger if you frequently  wear heavy jewelry. Watch as Dr. Oz explains ...