What is body odor?

Susan Evans
Dermatology
Body odor is what we smell like to other people. Some odors are considered to be pheromone based, meaning that these odors are considered to be attractive to some people. Odors that can be considered attractive are the smell of a mother’s milk to her baby and the unique smell of the baby to its mother. Studies have proven that the sense of smell between a mother and child is so accurate that they can pick one another out blindfolded.
Body odor is a distinctive -- and to most people, unpleasant -- smell that can occur when you perspire or sweat. Contrary to popular belief, perspiration itself is odorless. However, sweat can interact with naturally occurring bacteria and yeast on the skin that break down perspiration. This process creates the characteristic scent known as body odor. 

Continue Learning about Body Odor

How can I control my foot odor?
Dr. Susan EvansDr. Susan Evans
How to Control Foot Odor Keep your feet as clean and as dry as possible After bathing, make cert...
What can cause bad body odor?
The actual composition of your sweat is based on your genes and the food you eat. For instance, ...
What are our sources of natural scent?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
The most prolific perpetrator of a human being's natural scent is the underarm. The scent that is pr...
Try This to Get Rid of Bad Body Odor
Try This to Get Rid of Bad Body Odor