What causes bromhidrosis?

Bromhidrosis is the medical term for body odor, which is caused by bacteria and yeasts breaking down sweat on the skin. Everyone sweats. But when sweat stays on the skin and bacteria begin to break it down, the result is an unpleasant odor.

Normally, body odor can be kept in check by bathing regularly, especially after exercise, and using an underarm antiperspirant or deodorant. If you have excessive sweating that causes persistent body odor, consult a doctor, who can tell you about treatment options, including prescription antiperspirants.

Continue Learning about Body Odor

How do spicy foods increase body odor?
Quite simply, spicy foods increase body odor by making you sweat more. When you eat spicy foods, you...
What is the difference between a deodorant and an antiperspirant?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
An antiperspirant keeps you from sweating, while a deodorant cuts down on the odor when you do sweat...
Why don't my underarms smell when I sweat?
Amazingly, some people's sweat doesn't smell. In this video, Dr. Oz explains the different gland...
Try This to Get Rid of Bad Body Odor
Try This to Get Rid of Bad Body Odor