What are the risks associated with a high body mass index?

A large array of health problems is associated with being overweight or obese. It is estimated that 300,000 deaths per year result from problems connected to excess weight. These include hypertension, heart disease, sleep apnea, diabetes, and some types of cancer.

A high BMI can lead to increased blood pressure, an increase in cholesterol, increased chance for diabetes, increase change of heart disease, and many more.  Being active and focusing on weight control is very important and will help add years to your life.

Continue Learning about Body Mass Index (BMI)

Weighty Matters: How Excess Weight Is Ruining Your Future—and Your Kids Future Too
One more time we’re weighing in on the goodness of maintaining a healthy weight. And we have some intriguing new insights into weighty matters—and inn...
How do I know if I am apple-shaped or pear-shaped?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Here’s a simple formula to tell if you are an apple or pear: Break out your measuring tape, measure ...
How should the elderly interpret body mass index?
Optimal body mass index (BMI) is higher for the elderly than for younger adults. The ideal range may...
How Do I Measure My Waist to Hip Ratio?
How Do I Measure My Waist to Hip Ratio?