How do I find out my healthy weight?

Pounds aren't the only way to gauge health, so if you're using the bathroom scale to check your weight, here are other, more accurate ways:
  • Body mass index (BMI): You can get an estimate of your body fat based on calculations of your height and weight.
  • Waist circumference: Anything more than 40 inches for men or 35 inches for women is considered a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. To measure your waist circumference, find the area between your lowest rib and the top of your hipbone. Place a measuring tape on bare skin and wrap it around the narrowest part. The tape should be snug, but not constricting.
  • Waist-to-hip ratio: This measurement takes into account the proportions of your body by comparing your waist and hip circumferences.

More than 75% of all people with type 2 diabetes either are or were obese at one time or another. But what is obesity? In medical terms, obesity refers to people with a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or above. Your doctor can help you determine your body mass index and a healthy weight for you. 

To find out if you're at a healthy weight for your height, find your Body Mass Index (BMI). Below are the BMI categories for adults:

Underweight = less than 18.5
    Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
    Overweight = 25-29.9
    Obese = BMI of 30 or greater

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Continue Learning about Body Mass Index (BMI)

How Employers Can Encourage Better Health Habits
    Recently the body mass index (BMI) has come under more criticism. One study looking at folks in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey f...
    Why is my BMI score “obese” if I am a body builder with little body fat?
    Jeff Croswell , NASM Elite TrainerJeff Croswell , NASM Elite Trainer
    Even though you have low body fat the BMI is not the best indicator to evaluate yourself.  BMI only ...
    How do I determine my healthy weight?
    Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
    There a few methods that can be helpful in determining if your body weight is within a healthy range...
    What Does Body Mass Index (BMI) Determine?