How do I calculate lean body mass?

Before you attempt to calculate lean body mass, it is important to understand what it is. Lean body mass is comprised of the muscle, tendons, ligaments, bones, and organs in your body. Everything else is fat mass. In order to know how much lean body mass you contain, we need to know how much fat you contain since this an easy measurement to get though various body fat testing procedures. You can use skin fold calipers, bioelectrical impedance, or hydrostatic weighing (underwater weighing) to determine your body fat percentage. Skin fold and bioelectrical impedance measurements are generally easy to take yourself or have a trainer at your local gym take. Once you determine your body fat percentage, then it is just simple math to find the rest. Let’s say you are 150 pounds and 15% body fat. Multiply 150x.15 which equals 22.5. You have 22.5 pounds of fat on you. Then subtract the 22.5 from the original weight, 150-22.5. This equals 127.5. This tells you that at 150 pounds and 15% body fat, you have 127.5 pounds of lean body mass and 22.5 pounds of fat mass.

Continue Learning about Body Mass Index (BMI)

How Employers Can Encourage Better Health Habits
Recently the body mass index (BMI) has come under more criticism. One study looking at folks in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey f...
How are body mass index (BMI) and waist size related to obesity?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
For adults, overweight and obesity ranges are determined by using weight and height to calculate a n...
How do I determine my healthy weight?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
There a few methods that can be helpful in determining if your body weight is within a healthy range...
How Do I Measure My Waist to Hip Ratio?
How Do I Measure My Waist to Hip Ratio?