How does body mass index (BMI) influence potential weight-loss methods?

Daniel A. Dumesic, MD
Reproductive Endocrinology
In those individuals who are overweight with a body mass index (BMI) of greater than 25, lifestyle intervention consisting of diet and exercise is the top strategy to reduce body weight. For individuals who have a BMI over 30, or who have a BMI of 27 but with a comorbidity such as prediabetes, medications also may be recommended for weight-loss management. Finally, if your BMI is over 40, or lower than that to about 35 with comorbidities like hypertension or diabetes, then bariatric surgery might be indicated if other therapies are unsuccessful.

Continue Learning about Body Mass Index (BMI)

Is Your BMI a Lie?
Is Your BMI a Lie?
Body mass index (BMI), a simple ratio of height and weight, has become a shorthand way for doctors and insurance companies to determine if someone is ...
What is a healthy body mass index (BMI) for staying young?
The average body mass index (BMI) for Americans is 27.2 kg/m2 (kilograms per meter squared). In ...
How do I find out my healthy weight?
Pounds aren't the only way to gauge health, so if you're using the bathroom scale to check your weig...
What Does Body Mass Index (BMI) Determine?