Can my body mass index (BMI) affect how long I live?

With every lump of blubber, you shorten your life, according to the National Institutes of Health. Their study found that your risk of death increases 31% with every five-point increase in body mass index (BMI). Here are the NIH's exact calculations, according to the New England Journal of Medicine:
  • A BMI of 25.0 to 29.9 increased death risk by 13%.
  • A BMI of 30.0 to 34.9 increased death risk by 44%.
  • A BMI of 35.0 to 39.9 increased death risk by 88%.
  • A BMI of 40.0 to 49.9 increased death risk by 251%.

Continue Learning about Body Mass Index (BMI)

Is Your BMI a Lie?
Is Your BMI a Lie?
Body mass index (BMI), a simple ratio of height and weight, has become a shorthand way for doctors and insurance companies to determine if someone is ...
Why is it important to know my body mass index?
Dr. Mike Clark, DPTDr. Mike Clark, DPT
BMI is a measure of your general health and is based on your height and weight ratio. If your BMI is...
Is Body Mass Index (BMI) a good predictor of health?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Much has been made of the importance of Body Mass Index, or BMI, for predicting the risk of hear...
What Does the Waist to Hip Ratio Determine?