Can my body mass index (BMI) affect how long I live?

With every lump of blubber, you shorten your life, according to the National Institutes of Health. Their study found that your risk of death increases 31% with every five-point increase in body mass index (BMI). Here are the NIH's exact calculations, according to the New England Journal of Medicine:
  • A BMI of 25.0 to 29.9 increased death risk by 13%.
  • A BMI of 30.0 to 34.9 increased death risk by 44%.
  • A BMI of 35.0 to 39.9 increased death risk by 88%.
  • A BMI of 40.0 to 49.9 increased death risk by 251%.

Continue Learning about Body Mass Index (BMI)

How Employers Can Encourage Better Health Habits
Recently the body mass index (BMI) has come under more criticism. One study looking at folks in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey f...
Why is waist-hip ratio important?
Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)Taking Control Of Your Diabetes (TCOYD)
A study found that waist-to-hip ratio is a better predictor of heart-related events and death in peo...
How accurate is body mass index (BMI) as a measure of health risk?
Dr. Vonda Wright, MDDr. Vonda Wright, MD
Physicians traditionally used body mass index (BMI) as a way to assess a person's risk for disease. ...
Considering Current Eating Trends, What Are Obesity Projections for Our Future?