What do I need to know about blood transfusions for my baby in the NICU?

A blood transfusion is a procedure to put blood or blood products from a donor into your baby’s body in the NICU. The donor blood comes from a blood bank and is tested to make sure it’s right for your baby. If your baby needs a blood transfusion, you doctor will give you more information.

Continue Learning about Blood Transfusion

Why would a person need a red blood cell transfusion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Patients who benefit most from transfusion of red blood cells include those with chronic anemia resu...
Why would an individual need a platelet transfusion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Platelets are used to treat a condition called thrombocytopenia, in which there is a shortage of pla...
Is a blood transfusion from a volunteer donor for cancer treatment safe?
Aurora Health CareAurora Health Care
Hospitals keep a supply of blood from volunteer (unpaid) donors to use when needed. These donors...
Do anesthesiologists administer blood transfusions?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Anesthesiologists administer approximately half the blood transfusions in the United States and are ...