How do iron chelators help people who've had blood transfusions?

Blood has iron in it, so having a lot of blood transfusions can mean getting too much iron. Iron chelators are medicines that grab the extra iron in the body and get rid of it. Iron chelators come as infusions or pills, or as tablets mixed with juice or water.

Continue Learning about Blood Transfusion

Do anesthesiologists administer blood transfusions?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Anesthesiologists administer approximately half the blood transfusions in the United States and are ...
What are blood conservation strategies?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Certain high-risk patients having cardiac procedures benefit from blood conservation strategies (BCS...
Are blood transfusions used in cardiac surgery?
Blood-product transfusions are often used during cardiac surgery to offset the morbidity and mortali...
What do I need to know about blood transfusions for my baby in the NICU?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
A blood transfusion is a procedure to put blood or blood products from a donor into your baby’s body...