Do anesthesiologists administer blood transfusions?

Anesthesiologists administer approximately half the blood transfusions in the United States and are experts in making the risk and benefit assessments needed during a transfusion. Anesthesiologists are committed to the responsible use of the blood supply and to make the best decisions for patients.

Continue Learning about Blood Transfusion

What can I expect during a blood transfusion?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
You can expect your blood transfusions to be done in a hospital or in a doctor’s clinic. A nurse ins...
How are platelets obtained for transfusion?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Platelets are prepared by using a centrifuge to separate the platelet-rich plasma from the donated u...
Why would my doctor recommend a blood transfusion?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Individuals who lose blood during surgery or from other kinds of trauma may need a blood transfusion...
Is a blood transfusion from a volunteer donor for cancer treatment safe?
Blood transfusions are safer now than they have ever been. However, like anything in medicine, there...