What is agnogenic myeloid metaplasia?

Agnogenic myeloid metaplasia is a progressive, chronic disease in which the bone marrow is replaced by fibrous tissue and blood is made in organs such as the liver and the spleen, instead of in the bone marrow. This disease is marked by an enlarged spleen and progressive anemia. Also called chronic idiopathic myelofibrosis, idiopathic myelofibrosis, myelosclerosis with myeloid metaplasia, and primary myelofibrosis.

Continue Learning about Blood Diseases

ITP: How to Be Prepared for an Emergency
If you are living with immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) or another health condition that causes low platelet counts, it is important to know when to cont...
A Glossary of Terms to Help Understand ITP
When you are researching a health condition or talking to healthcare providers about a condition, it can be helpful to know some of the terminology. B...
Are there other names for hemorrhaging disorders?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
You may hear hemorrhaging disorders referred to as hemophilia, which is a set of the most well known...
How do I manage my hypocalcemia on a daily basis?
Oral calcium supplements can help restore your blood calcium levels to normal and resolve hypocalcem...