What is agnogenic myeloid metaplasia?

Agnogenic myeloid metaplasia is a progressive, chronic disease in which the bone marrow is replaced by fibrous tissue and blood is made in organs such as the liver and the spleen, instead of in the bone marrow. This disease is marked by an enlarged spleen and progressive anemia. Also called chronic idiopathic myelofibrosis, idiopathic myelofibrosis, myelosclerosis with myeloid metaplasia, and primary myelofibrosis.

Continue Learning about Blood Diseases

Should I talk to my doctor about my siderosis symptoms?
Since siderosis doesn't usually produce symptoms, you will likely discover that you have siderosis w...
Is hemolytic-uremic syndrome serious?
Without treatment, hemolytic-uremic syndrome (HUS) can be a serious condition that can result in dea...
What are symptoms of chronic myeloproliferative disorders?
The signs and symptoms for chronic myeloproliferative disorders vary, depending on the type of disor...
What is transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI)?
American Red CrossAmerican Red Cross
Transfusion-related acute lung injury (TRALI) is a serious blood transfusion complication thought to...