What are the different types of thalassemia?

The different types of thalassemia depend on the mistakes in the instructions (genes) that tell the red blood cells (RBCs) how to make hemoglobin. If there’s a mistake in only one copy of the genes, the RBCs can figure out which copy to use and ignore the one with the mistake. This means that a person with a mistake in one copy of the genes is a carrier for thalassemia, but doesn't usually have many of the problems. It’s called thalassemia minor. If both the copies have the mistake, it’s called thalassemia major or thalassemia intermedia. With thalassemia intermedia, people might have bad anemia, or they might not notice anything at all. In thalassemia major, the RBCs can’t make normal hemoglobin at all.

Continue Learning about Blood Diseases

What are the long-term treatments for hypokalemia?
Potassium supplementation is the usual treatment for hypokalemia. The underlying cause of the low bl...
What increases my risk for hypokalemia?
The risk for hypokalemia (low levels of potassium in the blood) increases if an individual is having...
Is there a cure for siderosis?
There is no cure for siderosis, but siderosis usually doesn't cause symptoms, either. You can preven...
What can I do if I'm feeling overwhelmed by my thalassemia?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If you have thalassemia and feel overwhelmed, lonely or think nobody understands what you’re going t...