How is sickle-hemoglobin C (Hb S-C) disease like other illnesses?

Because the child inherits a defective gene designating sickle cell anemia and another designating hemoglobin C disease from each parent, sickle-hemoglobin C (Hb S-C) disease is very similar to sickle cell anemia. The symptoms and treatments of the disorders are the same. However, sickle-hemoglobin C symptoms are usually less severe than sickle cell anemia symptoms. This means that treatments, which are designed to neutralize symptoms and prevent complications, are also different, depending on the sufferer's symptoms.

Continue Learning about Blood Diseases

Why ITP Causes Bleeding and Bruising Symptoms
Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) is a disease where antibodies attack platelets, small blood cells that are vital to the healthy function of the blood an...
Safety Tips When Living With ITP and Low Platelets
Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) is a rare disorder that causes low platelet counts. If you have ITP, the most important step to protecting your health i...
What lifestyle changes should I make if I have hypokalemia?
Individuals with hypokalemia can make lifestyle changes to help them recover more quickly and to min...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hypocalcemia symptoms?
Hypocalcemia can cause debilitating symptoms in the long term, if left untreated. These symptoms can...